Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prayer Requests
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Prayer RequestsMessage format

MommaHammer
Posted 2015-09-15 6:40 PM (#43572)
Subject: Prayer Requests

A quick update on Sammy. His veptr lengthenings were going really well and becoming pretty routine, until December 2013. The rod began to come through the scar tissue at the bottom end of his longest rod. It had always protruded a bit because he's so skinny, but it finally came through the soft scar tissue. Dr. Gupta removed that rod (or at least the bottom section) and we were instructed to wait until he heals to continue (of course!). After a few months we were instructed to wait until he gained weight so he'd have more tissue in his back. I let them know that Sammy has never been able to gain much weight, even when I'm giving him shakes and higher calorie foods on a regular basis. Still, they told us to keep trying. Another 6 months goes by and not a single pound heavier. The surgeon decides he should get a g-tube to supplement his calories. That was put in in January 2015. Over the past 9 months, he's gained 12 pounds. Pretty good!

Today he had an consultation with a new surgeon. His first and only veptr surgeon moved to another State. His new surgeon is Dr. Joel Lerman. Dr. Lerman said today that Sammy's curve has increased by 20% in the past two years since his rod was removed. His thinks it's urgent we get the rod back in, but is skeptical about the soft scar tissue and the rods ability to break through that skin again. He says it's an "attempt" to use the veptr rods again. The only other option we'd have would be to fuse him exactly where he's at...I'm, of course, want to attempt the rods again. I'm asking for prayers that the rods do not come back through his scar tissue and he's able to continue the veptr procedure through to the end and get fused at full skeletal growth as the surgeons were previously aiming for...

Thank you everyone!! I hope everyone else's procedures are going without complication!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stees
Posted 2015-12-11 2:01 PM (#43573 - in reply to #43572)
Subject: Re: Prayer Requests

Elite Veteran

How is Sammy? You've had a tough time with him but congrats on the 12 pound weight gain.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software