Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SCHOOL TROUBLE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Diane17
Posted 2011-11-04 7:11 PM (#41399)
Subject: SCHOOL TROUBLE

Elite Veteran

Noah is having trouble keeping up with the other kids in first grade. He is in special reading classes. I just wondered if this is common with our kids. Of coarse he has missed more school than his classmates due to surgeries and this year he has been sick at least once a month. Currently a mild pneumonia. We currently have a 504 plan. Maybe we will be changing to an IEP. I feel like I don't know what to ask for as far as services. In every other way he acts like a "normal" kid. He does have difficulty writing. Maybe that's vacterl or veptr related? He doesn't finish his work all the time. Maybe he's worn out? I also don't think he eats enough at school. I'm not there to make sure he eats enough and like most of our kids he is skinny.

His life is hard enough. I want school to be enjoyable for him. Any input would be so appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoes Nana
Posted 2011-11-07 6:13 AM (#41400 - in reply to #41399)
Subject: Re: SCHOOL TROUBLE

Expert

DIANE, I AM SORRY THAT I AM LATE GETTING BACK TO YOU ON THIS POST...ZOE IS ALOS A VATER/VEPTRE KIDDO, AND HER STARTING INTO SCHOOL WAS DEF. A TRANSITION, AND SHE LIKE NOAH, WAS OUT ALOT...BEINGVERY FRAGILE AT THE TIME...ZOE WENT INTO SCHOOL WITH A IEP IN PLACE...SHE WAS GIVEN A PERSONAL AID, WHO WAS AT HER SIDE AT ALL TIMES...AND EVERYTHING WITH ZOES HEALTH, AND NEEDS, WERE ALWAYS TAKEN INTO CONCIDERTION, DOWN TO THE FACT THAT SHE HAD WEAK HANDS, AND DOES NOT WRITE AS FAST AS OTHER STUDENTS HER AGE....IN THIS HER AID IS ABLE TO TAKE NOTES, AND KEEP ZOE ON TASK...ZOE IS NOW IN THE 8TH GRADE, KEPING AN B TO A AVERAGE...AND FAR FROM THE LOW IQ THE SCHOOL FELT SHE HAD...THAT IS ANOTHER AREA, MAYBE WE SHOULD DISCUSS AT SOME TIME...'I-Q TESTING'...MY OPINION IS THAT AFTER SPENDING $18,000 FOR IT, THAT IT IS A 'JOKE'...A KID LIKE ZOE, AND NOAH, TO EVER BE TESTED FOR IQ, AGAINST THE REST OF THE WORLD...COULD NEVER BE FAIR...IT IS DONE, BY STUDIES FROM MANY YEARS AGO, AND IN SHORT...A 'JOKE'...MY OPINION ON WHAT NOAH IS GOING THRU, IS GO BACK TO THE SCHOOL, AND REVISE WHAT NOAH NEEDS...GIVE HIM MORE HELP IN SCHOOL, AND IT WILL BE MUCH MORE PLEASUREABLE FOR HIM, AND KEEP HIM INTERESTED....PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ANYTIME...THERE ARE ALOT OF SUPPORT BOARDS NOW ON FACE BOOK...'VATER-VACTERL', VEPTR KIDS, AND MANY MORE, THAT HAVE BEEN KEEPING ME BUSY....AND I SOMETIMES FORGET TO HOPE OVER TO OUR 'OLD FAITHFUL' VEPTR BOARD'....SOMETHING WE SHOULD ALL BE CHECKING DAILY...I WOULD HAVE LOST MY MIND YEARS AGO IF IT WERE NOT FOR THIS BOARD, AND FOR THE KINDNESS OF MATT AND NICKI SUMMERS FOR PROVIDING IT......EMAIL ME AT [email protected] TIME, AND PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT....GOD BLESS....
Timothy
Posted 2011-11-08 7:47 AM (#41401 - in reply to #41399)

Veteran

Diane, Timothy had the same problem last year they wanted to hold him back in first grade. We didn't let them we worked with him on his reading through the summer with the summer school program and also inrolled him in Sylvans Learning for the summer. Right now he is in 2nd grade and he is improving he has a really good teacher that is working well with him and he also goes to the after school program for tutoring every day. Timothy also doesn't like to eat a school I pack him a lunch every day he has been eating the pizza lunchables that is about all he likes they got after me for sending only junk food but that was all he would eat during the day. He is improving he isn't skinny he is just a really picky eater. At first he wouldn't eat he was on pedisure for so long then the doctor told us to feed him what he likes which is french fries now we have a hard time getting him to eat any thing else. I hope this helps. What we were told is he needs to practice alot but he is finally starting to get it.
Rosa
Diane17
Posted 2011-11-08 8:39 PM (#41402 - in reply to #41399)

Elite Veteran

Jobie and Rosa,

Thank you so much. It always help to know you're not alone. I appreciate your help. Noah does the nacho lunchables. I think I'm going to have to finally give in and join Facebook soon .

Thanks again

Edited by Diane17 2011-11-08 8:40 PM
Nicki, Alex's Mom
Posted 2011-11-09 8:31 AM (#41403 - in reply to #41399)
Subject: RE: SCHOOL TROUBLE

Elite Veteran

My son Alex also has similar issues at school. We have an IEP in place and that really helps a lot. He comes in from recess a few minutes early to get his lunch ahead of the other kids because he is also very skinny and eats VERY slow. This gives him a bit more time to get those important calories in at lunch time. When there is a lot of note taking in class, his teacher will just copy her notes and give them to him instead of expecting him to keep up with all the writing. He also has something called an AlphaSmart at his desk which allows him to type some of the assignments which require a lot of writing. The typing seems to fatigue him less than writing it all out with a pencil and paper.

You're doing a great job, and no, you are not alone in this!
Diane17
Posted 2011-11-09 7:57 PM (#41407 - in reply to #41399)

Elite Veteran

Thank you Nicki for some more great ideas.
Carmell
Posted 2011-11-09 11:06 PM (#41410 - in reply to #41399)
Subject: RE: SCHOOL TROUBLE

Expert

Diane,

You are SO not alone!  We are struggling seriously with school work.  Braydon had a 504 until high school, then we switched to an IEP.  10th grade was very good (until he missed many days again).  He should be in 11th grade, but just doesn't have the endurance to attend all day (or even half day) of school.  He also struggles with writing.  Always has.  As you can see, I don't have any answers.  Just letting you know you are in good company - LOL.  Hugs to you and best wishes!

kchristensen
Posted 2011-11-14 3:14 PM (#41419 - in reply to #41399)

Veteran

Hi Diane. It must hurt your heart to see Noah struggle in school. I'm with you... school should fun for our kids. They already have to deal with so much that it's not really fair that school can sometimes be a struggle too. You might want to ask about having Noah qualify for an IEP under OHI.. other health impairment. Is he in physical therapy at home. You may suggest OT.. occupational therapy for his fatigue in his small motor skills. There may be excercises he could do to help strengthen those muscles. Also.. different pencil grips could cause him to fatigue more quickly than others. It's really difficult for teachers to really pay attention to the way that all the students hold their pencils all the time, so maybe you could check it out at home sometime. That could be something the OT could work on. I hope Noah has a healthy and fun rest of the year.
Sincerely,
Diane17
Posted 2011-11-14 8:56 PM (#41421 - in reply to #41399)

Elite Veteran

Carmell and Kristy Thank YOU!

I really think between all the members of veptr.com we know everything. Noah's IQ test showed he had an excellent ability to learn, but may have trouble writing. They are going to have OT do an eval for him. Since I stopped making him write so much at home he's done better with his school work. We've been focusing more on flash cards and reading. Hopefully OT will have some good suggestions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software