Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My sons curve is 117 degrees
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> StoriesMessage format

DStepp
Posted 2010-10-04 11:54 AM (#39944)
Subject: My sons curve is 117 degrees

Regular

Hello to everyone!! My son Bradley is going in for the veptr surgery on November 11th with Dr.Campbell.He decided to do the Veptr II rods on both sides of the spine hooked to the ribs to the pelvis. Bradley does not have any fused ribs and he has one hemivertabra. We noticed his scolosis at 7 months and he will be 4 on the 12th of November. He is a normal 3 year old.He started walking at 2 and now he is running and climbing:) He had his tethered cord released when he was 18 months old. Bradley is small he only weighs 22 lbs. He has been diaagnosed with congetial scolosis. His lung capacity is at 55%, he gets sick all of the time. He gets a cold and it goes right to his lungs. He was placed in a cast for 3 months to stop progression of curve,it did a little. But as you all know very hard to see and then after that he wears a brace 23 hrs a day. Which he still wears, Bradley has gotten PT, OT, and speech therapy since he was 7 months old. My Question to you parents out there. How long was recovery for your kids after surgery? Did one parent have to stay at home for recuperation time? We are from Ohio. I am just trying to figure out how long I need to stay home from work and I am self employed. God Bless our children they really are troopers!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoes Nana
Posted 2010-10-05 12:34 PM (#39951 - in reply to #39944)
Subject: Re: My sons curve is 117 degrees

Expert

HI, AND WELCOME AGAIN, AND THANKS FOR SHARING BRADLEY WITH US...
AND KNOW THAT OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS WILL BE WITH YOU ON NOVEMBER 11TH...
DR. CAMPBELL WAS ONE OF ZOE SURGEON, AND OF COURSE THE INVENTOR THE THIS DEVISE SO YOU ARE IN GREAT HANDS...
ZOE HAD HER VEPTRS PLACE OVER 10 YEARS AGO, SO ALOT HAS CHANGED INCLUDED THE HOPSITAL TIMES, ECT....
BUT LIKE ANY SURGERY, THERE IN MY OPINION IS A GOOD
6 WEEK' HEALING PROCESS REGARDING THIS SURGERY...FOR MOST THE TIME IN THE HOSPITAL IS ABOUT A WEEK, AND THEN EVERY DAY YOU WILL SEE PROGRESS...
MAKE SURE YOU TALK IN DETAIL REGARDING 'PAIN MANAGEMENT'...THAT HELPS WITH THE HEALING PROCESS AS WELL...
KEEP US POSTED AND KNOW THAT YOU HAVE OUR PRAYERS...
GOD BLESS...
Cori
Posted 2010-10-05 4:56 PM (#39953 - in reply to #39944)
Subject: RE: My sons curve is 117 degrees

My experience with recuperation time-- it varies. We were in hospital for 2 weeks when Julian's first rod was placed, and had 4 weeks recuperation at home (with either me or the grandparents staying at home). However, they had to cut through his fused ribs, and this may have been the difficult part - my husband had a large surgery some years ago and says that the bleeding from the bone and the pain from the drainage tubes was the worst bit of it! Julian's second rod was placed two weeks ago and he had no tubes whatever. We were out of hospital in a week and he is back in kindergarden two weeks after surgery, no further recuperation necessary.
So, if Bradley has no fused ribs, you may be lucky with a short stay and recuperation! I have heard that pelvis hooks are more difficult than rib hooks, though, and I can't tell you about the way the lung capacity may interfere with recovery. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Corinna

kchristensen
Posted 2010-10-06 1:54 AM (#39954 - in reply to #39944)

Veteran

Hello. Carter is 20 months old and had his initial implant with Dr. Campbell at 18 months on 8/25/10. We found it difficult to get the same answer twice when we were talking with Dr. Campbell. He is obviously very capable, and we felt the best doctor for our son, but the communication was a little hard for us. Brian, the nurse was REALLY helpful. Carter had surgery on Wed. and was released from the hospital on Monday, but he didn't want us to fly home until that Friday. He saw him again at that time. Are you staying at the McDonald house? I would recommend it. It is $15 a night and Carter loved all the toys to play with before the surgery.

I wasn't comfortable leaving Carer with other people for at least a week after we got back from the surgery, which was a total of 2 1/2 weeks. Carter didn't start walking again until five days after surgery. It was painful the first day, but he walked quite a bit even though it hurt. He just didn't want to quit. He was still a little clumsy for several days after that, but he did pretty well. You will also go home with meds and you'll want to get on a schedule with those, or figure out when he needs them. I don't think he will wear the brace after the surgery, will he? Carter also had a brace for a while, but his was only 18 hours a day. We grew to hate it. :0( That will be something to look forward to! Oh, Carter's pulmonary lung function test was also 55%. I'm not sure what it is now, but Dr. Campbell said that the space for the lung has improved, so hopefully the same will be true for you.

Good luck with the surgery.

Kristy
kchristensen
Posted 2010-10-06 1:55 AM (#39955 - in reply to #39944)

Veteran

I forgot to mention that Carter had two sets of ribs cut through as well.
DStepp
Posted 2010-10-06 9:01 AM (#39956 - in reply to #39951)

Regular

Thank you so much for input!! Zoe is so cute and the poor thing has been thru so much!!!! This site is so great to know other parents advice and we all can vent:) Take care and all you are in our prayers also...
DStepp
Posted 2010-10-06 9:20 AM (#39957 - in reply to #39954)

Regular

Thank you so much for all your input on Carter. I was watching your updates on him on carepages. I am so glad he did so well!!! He is such a sweetie:)
My efforts to get this surgery under way has been exhausting, I was like you I called Dr.Campbells office nonstop until I got someone to update me or just answer my questions. You are so right about Brian he has been very helpful. No Bradley wont be wearing his brace after surgery, even though he loves his brace when we take it off to bath him he wants it right back on. His PT thinks it is because he collapes so bad on left side and it does hold him up pretty good. So he feels comfort. This summer was hard though, we live in OH and it was a very hot and humid summer. And he wanted it off alot:(
We are staying at my cousins apt. in Jersey which is 15 minutes from the hospital, And he actually wont be there he has a business trip to France for 3 weeks. So it all works out becuase that is where we stayed for preop and our first appt with Dr.Campbell . And Bradley just loves it, we drive there it takes 6 hrs from our house so I take all his favorite toys. Thank God a home away from home...
Do you see any improvement with Carters lungs, but then again I think I remember you said he doesnt have any trouble. Did Carter come out of surgery with a ventilator?
Do you still have to watch him pretty close? I feel like I am going to be a hawk over him!! My Husband says of course you need to relax, lol yea right! Of course his surgery is the day before his 4th birthday:( It is so great talking to you, Danette.
DStepp
Posted 2010-10-06 9:27 AM (#39958 - in reply to #39953)

Regular

Thanks for your input!!! that is great Julian is back in school already!! Is the draining tubes for when they have fused ribs? Do you have anymore info on the inplants hooked to the pelvis why it is harder? What was your sons curve before is first surgery and has it gotten better? Sorry so many questions:) It is so great to talk to other Mothers, it is so comforting!! Thanks,
Danette
Rachel
Posted 2010-10-06 4:21 PM (#39959 - in reply to #39944)

Regular

Hi there- Our son Collin has veptr II rods hooked from spine to pelvis. He did not have any fused ribs. He was also 4 years old at the time of his surgery. Collin never really had any lung problems before surgery, but his curve was about 80 degrees before surgery and was about 20 degrees after surgery. The recovery was tough at first, but I am so grateful for the improvement in his curve. He was in the hospital for about 5 days. It took about a month for him to really get back to his old self. The first two weeks were the hardest, but then at about the 3 week mark we really started to see big improvements. I had also heard that pelvic attachments might be more painful, but having nothing else to compare to, I can't really say. I do think, however, that Collin's recovery time and pain level was comparable to the kids with other types of veptrs. Feel free to send a message if you have any more questions. Our prayers are with you! I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.
Cori
Posted 2010-10-06 4:31 PM (#39960 - in reply to #39944)

Danette,
as Julian`s rod is hooked into the spine, we don't have personal experience with the pelvis bit, but I gathered from some posts on this site that they can be more painful to adapt to. Re drainage: If you cut through bone, and children's bone in particular as it is not fully formed, it will usually bleed for a few days. The placement on the tube near to the bone can be painful (my husband tells me from his experience) and of course the more tubes you have the more uncomfortable it is for your child to move (be prepared for the first days for a) IV feed to the hand b) drainage tube to the bone and c) urine tube. The last can be painful too as J's wasn't well placed and his penis got all red and sore). J`s curve was comparatively low - he has two, 47° cervico-thoracal pre op, 40° post op- and 25° thoracal.

Hope all goes well for you,

Corinna
cecijoe
Posted 2011-03-25 10:43 AM (#40959 - in reply to #39944)

New User

Hello,
Hope all went well with your son's surgery. How is he adjusting? My 8 yr old daughter had severe scoliosis diagnosed at 6 months and Veptr rods placed by Dr. Robert Campbell at Christus Sta. Rosa, San Antonio, Texas when she was 3. However, the curvature has been increasing again in the last 2 yrs. We are not very satisfied with the current surgeon, as he doesn't seem to evaluate gait and posture at all. How has your experience with Dr. Campbell been?

Cecilia F
DStepp
Posted 2011-03-30 8:48 AM (#40969 - in reply to #40959)

Regular

Bradley is doing great!!! Rough road but well worth it. He gained 4 inches from surgery!!!! He is 4 so he had to relearn how to do evrything all over again. Yesterday was 10 weeks post op and he walked 20 steps!!!!! Since surgery he has gained 2 pounds and he is now 6 inches taller amazing!!! Love Dr. Campbell!!! Very compassionate man. Everday he would come check on Bradley. And when he walked in Bradleys room he wouldnt make a sound the whole time!! It was like Bradley knew this guy fixed me. Dr.Campbell is a very busy man, but I felt he took his time listening to us and our concerns. His Nurse Brian is Amazing too!! I have called him and he is very good. He used to work on the surgical floor, so he did come and check on Bradley which was so nice. So he understands what you are talking about since he did work on the ortho floor:) We live in Ohio, so we travel 7 hrs to philly. Who is your daughter seeing now? How has she gotten worse? Take care Danette
Kritika
Posted 2012-09-08 2:45 PM (#41608 - in reply to #39944)

New User

My daughter has diagnosed Escobar syndrome , she is eleven year old, she studied in six standard, Doctor told me spine surgery will be done in future, I am very afraid, my younger daughter is now no more, her lungs have been compressed . Please suggest whether we will go for spine surgery or not. My email I'd is [email protected].
Zoes Nana
Posted 2012-09-09 7:30 PM (#41609 - in reply to #39944)

Expert

WHERE IS YOUR DAUGHTER NOW BEING TREATED?....
ARE THEY SUGGESTING 'VEPTRS'?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software