Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harrington rod vs. titanium rib
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Connie
Posted 2006-07-12 5:12 PM (#22058)
Subject: Harrington rod vs. titanium rib

Hello all,
I was just wondering if someone can explain the differences in he the two different rods. If they are used in the same way, what would the difference be? My sons doc wants to do the surgery using the harrington rods. He sais that they are thinner and much better for my son who has extemely low muscle tone. Any thoughts?

Connie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoes Nana
Posted 2006-07-12 11:57 PM (#22066 - in reply to #22058)
Subject: Re: Harrington rod vs. titanium rib

Expert

HI CONNIE,
WELCOME TO THE VEPTR BOARD...

I AM NOT REALLY SURE ABOUT THE HARRINGTON RODS...I THINK THERE IS A VAST DIFFERENCE IN THE HARRINSTON ROD AND THE VEPTRS,
HARRINGTON RODS WERE NOT AN OPTION FOR ZOE...

WHERE IS YOUR SON SEEN?...HAS HE HAD A EVAL. REGARDING THE VEPTRS?

ALL THE CHILDREN, AND ALL THE CASES, THOUGH MANY WILL HAVE SIMILARITIES, EACH ARE DIFFERENT...
ZOES, HAS VATERS SYNDROME, (MUTIBLE SYSTEM ANOMOLIES) SHE NEEDED THE VEPTRS OVER 6 YEARS AGO, BECAUSE OF MISSING AND FUSED RIBS, HEMI VERT, AND SEVERE AND PROGRESSIVE CONGENITAL
SCOLIOSIS, AND ALTHOUGH LOW MUSCLE TONE WAS NOT A PROBLEM FOR HER, THERE ARE MANY CHILDREN WITH VEPTRS THAT ARE DX WITH LOW MUSCLE TONE...
I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR SON...
GOD BLESS...

Edited by Zoes Nana 2006-07-12 11:59 PM
Carmell
Posted 2006-07-13 7:05 PM (#22078 - in reply to #22058)
Subject: RE: Harrington rod vs. titanium rib

Expert

Hi Connie - Welcome

First, any doc who is actually using a REAL Harrington rod should be avoided at all costs.  No reputable orthopedic spine surgeon has used a true Harrington rods for 20 years.  I think some surgeons still use that term very losely - which is a shame.  There are several types of scoliosis rods.  Please clarify with the surgeon that he's not really recommending a Harrington rod.  yikes.

Like Jobey said, there is a vast difference between a traditional scoliosis rod and a VEPTR device.  The traditional rods are used by fusing them along the curved part of the spine, leaving the spine very rigid in the fused area.  Fusion/rod surgery is very permanent.  You can't undo a fusion.

The VEPTR devices/rods are not placed along the spine like the traditional scoliosis rods.  The VEPTR devices are placed away from the growing part of the spine and act as an internal brace to allow the spine to grow.  The VEPTR rods are lengthened every 6 months or so to keep up with the child's growth.  There are descriptions and photos of the VEPTR device on the main page.  If you can't find the photo and description, let me know and I'll post it for you here.

Good luck - please research more before making a decision.   Surgery for scoliosis should never be taken lightly.

mom2cole
Posted 2006-07-13 7:10 PM (#22080 - in reply to #22058)

Elite Veteran

Carmell-I was thinking the same thing when read Harrington Rod, thought not used any longer. Tho I thought I read the word Harrington rod on one of the recent Medical documents I got from Cole's Hospital on his surgeries. I wonder if just the word is used but not the same thing as yrs ago?? Hmmm-I will reread his medical stuff and see what I find. If I do find that on there I think I will ask Dr. Skaggs at our appt on Monday. Interesting topic.
Connie
Posted 2006-07-13 8:24 PM (#22082 - in reply to #22058)

Carmell, Stacey and Jobey,
Thak you all for responding. Perhaps they are not actual harrington rods because they will be infact be growing rods. They will go back in every six months or so for expansions. We go to Scottish Rite in dallas. They will be from rib to pelvis.
Carmell I think we exchanged posts a few months back on the yahoo group.
Dr Johnston described the surgery as similiar to the veptr but his rods are much thinner. I don't know. I have put in two calls to dr campbells office and am awaiting a response.

Thanks, Connie
Jennie-BriannasMom
Posted 2006-07-13 10:54 PM (#22084 - in reply to #22058)

Elite Veteran

you are probably waiting a bit longer for call back from TX because Dr Campbell is out of town, and so is Lori. Lori, I know, will not beback for a couple molre weeks.
Lori is the person you are gonna want to talk to, most likely. Brianna sees Dr C in clinic on Monday. If you want, I can clarify with him write it all down, and psot it.
Just an offer.

As for Harrington rods..............
When Brianna was about 3, I recieved a multi-claim case paper about patients implanted with the Harrington rod, and something else similar.
I immediatley took it to her ortho and asked him if either device was what he had put in Brianna at age 2 and a half. He said NO, absolutley NOT. They stopped using both devices about 6yrs prior to Briannas fusion and rod plaement, that ultimatley failed just weeks after being put in.

Like Carmel said, the Harrington rod is not/ should not be still used.
Carmell
Posted 2006-07-14 12:22 PM (#22098 - in reply to #22082)

Expert

Hi Connie,

I remember sending you emails from the Yahoo list.  I think you should try to get an official evaluation from one of the other VEPTR sites (besides San Antonio - they are so busy).  Traveling out of state is do-able, and sometimes the best option.  If nothing else, you will have peace of mind knowing your Scottish Rite docs have the best intentions for your little guy.  This is a HUGE decision.  You want/need to make sure its the right decision, at the right time, by the right docs.  Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software