Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Periactin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Development and CareMessage format

stees
Posted 2004-03-17 10:01 PM (#1129)
Subject: Periactin

Elite Veteran

Jubi,
Just wanted to respond to your comment about periactin and irritability. Malcolm was on it for about three days when I realized that the massive personality change was probably a result of this drug! He went from being Mr. Sunshine to Iceman. It was too weird. We didn't even have time to figure out if it had increased his appetite much.

So, I stopped administering the drug at day three. I was asking here to see if other parents had had a lot of success at appetite increase with the drug (aka crypotheptadine or something) which MIGHT make it worth trying again and seeing if the personality change was just a coincidence.

You and another lady on another website both noted changes in temperment. Her child became weepy and tired. So, I guess I am convinced that it wasn't just Malcolm who had mood effects with this drug. It's going to come AFTER tube feeding then, as an option.

My weight gain tricks (not very clever):

Bottle feed 'till teens, with Pediasure or other high calorie high nutrient drink
Corn chips... those little curly ones
Potato chips
Pizza pops (ugh, I know!)
Cheese bread
Chinese fried noodles
Soft ice cream, has to be out in the mall and in a cone
Rice crispie squares

Malcolm doesn't eat meat, fruit, veg., chocolate, juice, cheese by itself, or any of those normal kid foods. I am stuck with the above bizarre list of possible foodstuff for the time being. Thank God for Pediasure is all I can say, otherwise he would be malnourished.

Susan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carmell
Posted 2004-03-18 12:56 AM (#1136 - in reply to #1129)
Subject: RE: Periactin

Expert

Hi Susan,

I think we've talked about this already, but have you tried things like EnsurePlus?  Scandi-shake?  Those have more calories than Pediasure, and may be an added bonus.  Also, adding Carnation Instant Breakfast to any "meal" helps too, and its inexpensive, comparitively.

Matt
Posted 2004-03-18 10:45 AM (#1144 - in reply to #1129)

Veteran

A few spoons of sugar dissolved in everything doesn't hurt either, but there are other commercial products that pack even more kick. Mashed potatoes with tons of butter is a nice snack also. Look for things high in proteins and sugars/carbohydrates. Mmm, doughnuts.
SHARON
Posted 2006-06-08 1:16 AM (#21567 - in reply to #1129)

My son was given periactin and has a completely different person's personality! And it is awful. He was mr. sweet and now he is mr. monster. i guess i need to go off this drug which was so so helpful at increasing his appetite. It was a miricle but the personality change is too scary.
[email protected]
Zoes Nana
Posted 2006-06-08 8:13 AM (#21570 - in reply to #1129)
Subject: Re: Periactin

Expert

HI SHARON AND WELCOME...
ZOE HAS HAD FEEDING ISSUES SINCE SHE WAS BORN...
SHE HAS A COMPLICATED HISTORY OF MAL-ROTATION OF THE INTESTINES, OBSTRUCTIONS, SLOW MOTILITY, ULCERS, ECT...ALONG WITH MANY OTHER ANOMOLIES (VATERS SYNDROME)..
SHE IS NOW 8 AND HER DIET IS STILL 90 PERCENT PEDISURE...AND IT IS ONLY IN THE LAST YEAR
THAT SHE STOPPED TAKING A BOTTLE...SOUNDS WEIRD, BUT IT REALLY WORKED FOR HER...WE GAVE IT TO HER IN THE PRIVACY OF OUR HOME, OR IN THE CAR WHEN TRAVELING, AND THE HOSPITAL...
HER DOCTOR WAS COMFORTABLE WITH IT ALSO, AND IT ALWAYS KEPT HER FROM THE NEXT STEP, WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FEEDING TUBE...PERIACTIN WAS ONE OF THE DRUGS WE WANTED TO STAY AWAY FROM BECAUSE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS, AND OUR GI AGREED...
LIKE I SAID, ZOE IS STILL 90 PERCENT PEDISURE...IT HAS SEEN HER THROUGH 19 SURGERIES,AND MANY ADVERSE EVENTS IN HER LIFE...
ZOE IS NOW 48 POUNDS AND 46 INCH TALL, AND HAS A HEAD OF HAIR THAT IS A THICK AS A HORSE...SO I AM A VERY BIG FAN OF PEDISURE, FOR ZOE IT IS A LIFE SAVER...
RIGHT NOW, MY THINKING IS THAT ALOT OF ZOES PERFERENCE TO PEDISURE IS HABITIAL, AND AFTER HER NEXT VISIT TO HER GI, THIS IS SOMETHING I WANT TO TALK WITH HIM IN LENGTH ABOUT...WEANING HER OFF SOME OF IT...BECAUSE, AT 350 CALORIES A CAN, AND SHE DRINKS UP TO 8 A DAY, I THINK THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS SHE SHOWS SO LITTLE INTERESET IN FOOD...
JUST NO ROOM...SHE IS TAKING IN ALL THE CALORIES SHE CAN WITH THE PEDISURE ALONE...
IN MY OPINION SHARON WITH THE PERSONALITY CHANGE, I WOULD STOP THE PERIACTIN AND TALK WITH YOUR GI, AND PERHAPS SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS HERE MAY HELP YOUR SON AS WELL...
AGAIN, WELCOME AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR SON...

GOD BLESS...
Connie, Billy's mom
Posted 2006-06-16 12:18 PM (#21748 - in reply to #21567)

Extreme Veteran

Sharon, how long has your son been on the Periactin?  If it has been less than two weeks, I'd wait and see what happens... sometimes the side effects of mood changes (which is often from being overly tired from the med) diminish or dissappear as the body gets used to the drug... 

If it was longer than that, he may just be unusually sensitive to it :(  My son Billy has been on it since October, twice a day, and it's really helped him gain back some weight he had lost last summer, and maintain his weight better.  He's been eating amazingly well for him!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software