Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Microvasive feeding button
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Development and CareMessage format

Collin's Mom
Posted 2005-07-23 2:26 PM (#12160)
Subject: Microvasive feeding button

Regular

Does anyone have a Microvasive feeding button? Unlike the Mickey, this is one has to be replaced by the doctor I believe. How long before it needed to be replaced? Collin still has his original one and I can't tell if it is wearing as we access it quite a bit. Thanks for any feedback.

~Sarah
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jennie-BriannasMom
Posted 2005-07-23 10:13 PM (#12164 - in reply to #12160)
Subject: RE: Microvasive feeding button

Elite Veteran

A Microvasive is similar to a BARD in that it does, yes have to be replaced by the doctor, but unlke a MIC-Key, it wont wear out fast.
It shouldnt have to be replaced unless you see any obvious signs, like tearing or holes, or if it leaks profusely when you open it up ( meaning the valve may be worn, or wearing out.
Brianna has had MIC-Key's. She started out with a BARD and had the first one from age 5 months till almost 3, wehn well, frankly, the cat chewed the flap off. otherwise it would have lasted a LOT longer.
Another reason for replacing would be stoma length change. As your child grow, the Fr size of the device doesnt usually change, however,, as their becomes more muscle, fat, skin, etc between the inside of the stomach and the outside of the abdomen, the length would change. ( this is "point cm" distance, as in my child has a 18fr , 2.0 cm Mcrovasive mini-button)
Brianna currently has a Entrastar button. It goes in like a BARD, but has a surface level valve like a MIC-Key.
We like it. We never would have switched from a BARD to a MIC-Key if it wasnt for the stupid resident that just yanked the BARD out to change it and ripped her gut apart as well.

Anyway, you can also research microvasive online.
www.bostonscientific.com

I also subscribe to this egroup, which is AWESOME if you deal with gtubes, jtubes, g-jtubes or TPN. it is called G-tube Digest

http://members.iinet.net.au/~scarffam/cgi-bin/fom?_recurse=1&file=120

hope this helps

Collin's Mom
Posted 2005-07-24 5:49 PM (#12186 - in reply to #12160)
Subject: Re: Microvasive feeding button

Regular

Thanks Jennie...That helps alot.
ethans mom & dad
Posted 2005-09-07 11:14 PM (#13486 - in reply to #12160)

Ethan has a MIC-Key and I am not familar with this button. my concern would be the cleaning. That is normally the reason for changing Ethan's. And if there is no way to change it at home how would you reinsert it if it where to come out.
Hannah's Mom
Posted 2005-09-07 11:50 PM (#13488 - in reply to #12160)

Expert

Hannah had hers for about three months and hers started leaking from the sides. She would drink and a little later it was all over her shirt so we had to have it replaced. It was replaced and we were having the same problem six months later. We went with the MICKEY which we like a lot better. It is mostly a preferance of the parent which they like the best. They both do the same job. I just like the way the MICKEY is changed it is less advasive on the kids as the bard that we had to remove it they had to pull up on it and it stretches it and pops it out. Hannah just did not do well with it so that is why we went with the MICKEY instead. Just talk to your doctor and ask questions about both and see which is best for your family. Our doctor here always puts in the Bard and then six months down the line will replace it with the button you choose. But he always starts out with the Bard we were not given the option then. I am baballing now so I will close. Got to go start packing since the kids are asleep. Or should I say the older two are in bed but I can still hear them talking. Those girls.
Tammy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software