Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tape/adhesive/steri strip removal ideas!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

mom2cole
Posted 2006-01-19 6:13 PM (#17888)
Subject: tape/adhesive/steri strip removal ideas!!

Elite Veteran

we were discussing this on my post about Cole being home but thought i would start a new post for anymore suggestions on removing the tape after surgery.

My situation is Cole has a medicine ball and they put a ton of tape all over his back for this to hold tube down and now it is deflated and need to remove it and pull tube.  Tried to this morning and Cole just got all upset and would not let me continue.  I finally cut around and got tube that was twisted and taped up off and one long tube now but end wheere inside that have to pull out havent been able to get to his back again to finish. 

Some ideas given already-Palmers Cocoa butter lotion for dry skin and Detachol adhesive remover.  I called around to see if could locate the detachol and no such luck.  Any suggestions on somethng I might have around the house?  Oh also told baby oil, but of course i dont have that either.  I hate to take Cole outside and into a store.  ugg

THANKS!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sawyer's mom
Posted 2006-01-19 6:25 PM (#17889 - in reply to #17888)
Subject: Re: tape/adhesive/steri strip removal ideas!!

Extreme Veteran

I have used baby oil, but you don't have that. Maybe try Vaseline? Just be careful where it goes cuz it is hard to wipe off. Maybe olive oil? That';s good for skin too.
Just my $.02
Good luck!
mom2cole
Posted 2006-01-19 6:36 PM (#17890 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Melissa-good suggestions. I do have olive oil and vaseline.

Tho I was able to pull the tube out just now. I looked at it since only a little part of tube still taped down (with the clear tape) so I was able to cut around that part too until the end was free and just sticking inside skin so held it down against skin with guaze like nurse explained and slowly pulled it out. It came out real easy! Yeah one more step complete!!! I am gonna get him cleaned up tonight with sponge bath and if more tape comes off good if not tomorrow I go back to work while he is at Gramma's so I will go and try to locate something to get tape completely off. I sure wish i could find detachol tho!
wilcoxs6
Posted 2006-01-19 6:58 PM (#17891 - in reply to #17890)

Regular

Hello -

Abby really hates the steri-strips that are left after surgery!! It is like adding insult to injury to have to take those off after going through surgery! We actually leave them on until they either start to peal away themselves or until I can't stand them anymore. She actually has started to ask to have them removed. I think they itch. Anyway, we use baby oil. I use many cotton balls soaked in baby oil and let her watch tv while she is laying across my lap. I just rub the oil into the steri-strips over and over again, then I put her to bed. There is usually a little oil on her pajamas, but I don't mind that as long as it helps. Usually by morning, several have just fallen off. If they don't all come off, we do a deep, warm bath the next night and do the baby oil ritual again. Well, this is what works for us. Hope it helps you. I think that Abby is right in her "insult added to injury" attitude!!

Edited by wilcoxs6 2006-01-19 6:59 PM
ehead
Posted 2006-01-19 7:27 PM (#17893 - in reply to #17888)
Subject: RE: tape/adhesive/steri strip removal ideas!!

Oh, I wish you had some detachol because it does work GREAT...I got mine at the hospital so maybe next time you're there you can remember to ask for some. As far as the steri-strips go, our doc in Texas told us to let those fall off on their own, not to pull them off. After several baths they came off as I would pat Elizabeth's back dry. My guess is it could irritate a fresh wound to remove them. Just my thoughts though.
Elizabeth
mom2cole
Posted 2006-01-19 7:39 PM (#17896 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

so far i am dealing only with the tape that was used for medicine ball tube and some leftover tape from IV's. No steri strip yet as that may be under the gauze bandaid that is on top of incision site-that we dont touch yet. We go back to Dr on Mon morning so i assume he will take that off and if have steristrips i know how to remove tho usually Dr says to let fall off and they do eventually but speeding up the process after some time would be nice.

I think I will try other stuff on the tape tho. And Monday i am going to ask Dr office at Ortho Clinic for some detachol too.
Hannah's Mom
Posted 2006-01-20 2:12 AM (#17904 - in reply to #17888)

Expert

The hospital or maybe a doctor's office will have it. For some reason that seems to be the only places to get it.
josiejean
Posted 2006-01-20 6:08 PM (#17930 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

we usually allow Josie's to just wear off/fall off. but last time they stayed on a long time so i used the adhesive remover pads you can get at a pharmacy. they are little package squares, JUST like the "wet-naps" - the moist hand washing paper towel that is sometimes serves with greasy or barbque food. they come in a little pouch about 2" by 2".

shawn
Jubi2U
Posted 2006-01-20 8:41 PM (#17931 - in reply to #17888)

Elizabeth gets so attatched to them, that when they finally do come off (4 mo later) she takes them everywhere

with her. I have thrown them away when she was sleeping, but she will check the trash if she can't find them
Jubi2U
Posted 2006-01-20 8:52 PM (#17934 - in reply to #17888)

Hey Shawn, do you know if TX has wireless we can use in the hospital or can we just plug in?
mom2cole
Posted 2006-01-20 9:34 PM (#17937 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

ok funny Jubi about her wanting to keep the strips! Guess what, Cole has one on his dresser at his Dad's house from the surgery last May 2005!!! too cute huh!!! Kids, so silly!
Hannah's Mom
Posted 2006-01-21 12:01 AM (#17941 - in reply to #17888)

Expert

We just usually plug in, not sure on the wireless. (I know I'm not Shawn but I thought I would reply anyway.) :o)
Jubi2U
Posted 2006-01-21 2:01 AM (#17944 - in reply to #17888)

Thank you so much
Jennie-BriannasMom
Posted 2006-01-21 5:00 PM (#17951 - in reply to #17944)
Subject: RE: TX plug-in or wireless

Elite Veteran

TX doesnt have wireles, just plug in.
When are ya'll coming??
josiejean
Posted 2006-01-21 11:00 PM (#17952 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

ya, i just plug my phone cord into the phone jack in the hospital room to get on line.
sawyer's mom
Posted 2006-01-22 7:33 PM (#17954 - in reply to #17888)

Extreme Veteran

man, what I wouldn't give for a laptop!
josiejean
Posted 2006-01-22 9:51 PM (#17957 - in reply to #17888)

Elite Veteran

get this Melissa,
when we first started in Texas, i would bring my DESKTOP with the 17" monitor to San Antonio and i would set it up in the hotel room.. now that's crazy!! but yes, having a laptop now is such a blessing. and the only reason we bought it was to bring down to Texas.

shawn
Jubi2U
Posted 2006-01-22 10:16 PM (#17958 - in reply to #17888)

Paula got me the lap top for Christmas She rocks. I don't think that she actually wanted to get one, but I have been wanting one for 3 YEARS! I was very relieved to have one, especially since every kid in St. Louis County has one for school and my son will soon be entering the mainstream classroom and I need to stay a little ahead of my 6th grader Although there is no hope for me since he just tested as a 23 yr old I am soooooo toast!
It kind of sucks though, because almost every kid in the county is given a lap top....yet just a few miles away in the city, the schools will NOT even issue text books for the children. Not even the high school kids. I was like, how are you supposed to study? In the county, if you so much as even say that you want to harm someone or say anything in anger they practically call in a SWAT team, but in the city they have metal detectors and armed guards. Can anyone say "segragation"?

Sorry, I'm rambling....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software