Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Staples
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Zoe Alexis's Mommy
Posted 2007-07-25 11:53 AM (#27749)
Subject: Staples

Veteran

I saw a question about stapling on here not long ago, but I can't remember where or who asked it. I don't have much information, but I have an article from our local paper from March that says Dr Linda D'Andrea at Shriners in Philly is doing it and that the staples are made of nitinol, a metal that is flexible at body temperature. They are inserted through small incisions into the outer side of the spine's curve and exert pressure to make the concave side grow faster. There have been small studies, but no larger ones so insurance doesn't usually cover it. Hope this helpsSmile
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mtnmom
Posted 2007-07-25 12:20 PM (#27750 - in reply to #27749)
Subject: Re: Staples

Elite Veteran

We looked into it when we were on a search for an alternative to growing rods for Nikki. It wouldn't work for Nikki as her curve was too stiff - it needs a more flexible curve to work well. It also carried with it more risks for Nikki than the VEPTR. We met with Dr. D'Andrea, and while this wasn't good for Nikki, she turned us onto VEPTR for that I'll always be grateful! She was very patient and kind and answered all my questions - about both procedures!
josiejean
Posted 2007-07-25 1:14 PM (#27752 - in reply to #27749)
Subject: Re: Staples

Elite Veteran

i hadn't heard of that, but it wouldn't have worked for josie either. her spine is very rigid. in fact, her before (before VEPTR) and after (currently) xrays look relatively similar. she has had very minimal spinal correction really.
Carmell
Posted 2007-07-25 2:55 PM (#27753 - in reply to #27749)
Subject: RE: Staples

Expert

The stapling procedure has very strict criteria for patients.  Most patients who even begin discussing VEPTR have too many complex conditions that would eliminate them from being a staple candidate.  The patient has to be young (Risser of zero still), the scoliosis needs to be a thoracic curve (can't treat lumbar or cervical curves with staples), there can't be any congenital malformations (only idiopathic curves), no spinal cord anomalies, etc.  Stapling has also been called an alternative to bracing - hoping the spine "learns" to grow correctly during pre-adolescent and adolescent growth spurts.  There aren't many (may 2-3) who have reached skeletal maturity, so stapling is still in the study stages.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software