Rods and flying/security
mom2cole
Posted 2010-07-20 6:09 PM (#39580)
Subject: Rods and flying/security

Elite Veteran

I am sure we have discussed this b4 on here but havent had Cole fly for years and now going to be in August so wondered if anyone brings a letter with stating your child has rods in them in case xray goes off???  I remember we did years ago but think maybe last few times we have not and have never had an issue but would hate to have an issue now so wondered if could refresh my memory on how others do it.  Hoping no issue with this cuase I already have to deal with taking oxygen on plane for him while in air this time and taking nebulizer and bipap as carry ons too and really dont want to be dealing with rods and xray going off.  Have alot to coordinate already just for this flight.  Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Emily's Mom
Posted 2010-07-20 7:26 PM (#39583 - in reply to #39580)
Subject: Re: Rods and flying/security

Expert

Hey Stacey ~

Emily and I just flew a month ago and we didn't have to do anything special because of her rods. Actually, we have never had to when we have flown. We also had the oxygen on flight - our first time using a portable concentrator on the plane....it worked great! Good luck. Are you going somewhere fun??
mom2cole
Posted 2010-07-20 11:29 PM (#39586 - in reply to #39580)

Elite Veteran

Hi Janita,
Hmmmm well am I going somewhere fun?? You answer that question when i tell you where we are going, MINNESOTA???? HA HA HA So what you think a fun place??? lol
Are you near Minneapolis/St Paul (or you are more northern right?)? We are staying with my Aunt in Eden Praire. Yes we have to use the POC (Portable oxygen concentrator) ourselves. Cole isnt even on oxygen ever but his lungs have gotten worse over time so when I asked Dr said yes for flight only. Do you mind telling me what company you used? I am flying US Air to Phoenix then Delta to MN and they both use Oxygen To Go Company so I am going thru them. I am actually calling them tomorrow to start the process as our flight is Aug 17 and was told should reserve now.
michelle wessollek
Posted 2010-07-21 12:15 AM (#39588 - in reply to #39580)

Extreme Veteran

James Dr gave us a blue medical card from synthes,on the back it says that he has orthopedic devices that my cause metal detector to activate.I have never had the alarms go off but I have had to show it to securitay when they where doing a pat down.
Carmell
Posted 2010-07-21 2:17 AM (#39589 - in reply to #39580)
Subject: RE: Rods and flying/security

Expert

Stacey,

Braydon and I are in Tucson.  Flew in today.  No security problems at the airport.  Never had problems in 9 years of having titanium rods.  He does have a card, but has never needed to use it.  Have fun in MN!

Emily's Mom
Posted 2010-07-21 10:33 AM (#39590 - in reply to #39580)

Expert

Stacey ~ Too funny that you are coming to Minnesota. We are actually about 6 hours north of Eden Prairie - bummer! We've actually had some warm weather so I hope it stays that way while you are here!! We used Allegiant Airlines when we flew last month - I don't think they fly into Mpls. though. I got the POC from our durable medical equipment provider out of Roseville, MN called Pediatric Home Services - love them!! Emily has been using about a 1/4 liter of oxygen at night for the past year so I knew that she would need it to fly. We have flown Delta and Northwest in the past with the in-flight oygen but Allegiant doesn't offer it on the flight.

Who knows we may end up being down in the cities while you are here. Emily has to do a 2 night sleep study in St. Paul. She is hypoventilating while she is sleeping and is most likely going to end up going back on bi-pap at night. I'm waiting for them to call me so we can schedule it. I'll keep you posted.

Good luck getting everything lined up!
mom2cole
Posted 2010-07-28 9:22 PM (#39623 - in reply to #39580)

Elite Veteran

Thanks everyone. I will contact Ortho to get something in writing just in case plus to make me feel more at ease. Will have enough issues with security with having oxygen, bipap and nebulizer all to carry on the plane and get thru security so dont need issues with rods/back too. This whole oxygen thing is a pain to coordinate and is going to cost me an arm and a leg but insurance will cover it but they dont know how much. Company doesnt bill insurance either so I have to pay for it myself and get reimbursed later which sucks! Wish our durable medical company that got bipap and neb from would carry but unfortunately they dont so going thru company that delta and us deal with. Wish could get from airline themselves but they dont do that either, I heard the airlines are not doing this as much anymore. I guess just some airlines do provide so much easier setting up with them and getting at the airport but instead I have to pay for shipping and get it ahead of time and bring all kinds of paperwork with to airport. uggggg exhausting just to fly somewhere....
kirti
Posted 2011-02-07 8:00 PM (#40664 - in reply to #39623)

My daughter is 7years old. she has 70 degree curve of scoliosis and has kyphosis too. can I have some info about halo traction. because Dr. wants to do that.
kim'smom
Posted 2011-02-08 9:41 AM (#40670 - in reply to #39580)

Regular

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about traction since my daughter didn't need it. It was a possiblity though and I asked the same question. If I remember correctly most parents commented favorably on it, saying it actually gave their child relief and they didn't mind it. I would suggest you make a new thread regarding this question, otherwise people might not notice your question as it is on a thread about metal and airplanes. Good Luck!
klent15
Posted 2011-02-09 7:16 PM (#40686 - in reply to #39580)
Subject: RE: Rods and flying/security

Extreme Veteran

We flew with Paige last October, and the rods never set off the security. I was told if they did, they would just do the hand held swiper thingy, but it can't ever hurt to have a doctor's note.
mom2cole
Posted 2011-02-10 9:33 PM (#40701 - in reply to #39580)

Elite Veteran

Just realized I never updated this after our flight. Cole ended up setting off the security xray machines at the first airport went to here at home when left! I had paperwork from Dr regarding rods but they didnt even look at it. They took him aside to pat down further but were very nice and gentle and asked me if wanted to do separate area and waited to make sure I was right there with him so overalll not bad. This is a small airport near home and they said there xray machines seeem to be very sensitive and occasionally do go off when similar issues. That was the first time ever happened and we had layovers so went thru 2 other airport securities and not one went off again. After the trip i realized I should have insisted on them looking at the Dr notice in hopes no pat down as Cole did say he didnt like them touching his back. He is sensitive to peoples touch where rods are but at the time he seemed fine and they didnt pat very hard at all and was very quick.

Other then that it was a great trip tho alot of items to give to security that couldnt go thru xray and had to be specially inspected but by last airport we had the routine down pat! Cole pulled his oxygen and set it up when got seated in plane so that was good. I ended up not getting fully reimbursed from insurance so that sucked, i had to pay about half of it myself. Insurance said they were not contracted so next time I know need oxygen and will make sure contracted for full reimbursement.
Kirti I will send you a message regarding halo traction when time as Cole had that done 12 yrs ago when he was 5 yrs old.
klent15
Posted 2011-02-14 10:48 PM (#40723 - in reply to #40701)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, he really set off the machine? That is good to know for the rest of us who may have that happen someday. Flying with oxygen is such a pain in the ...ahem...rear. I think we ended up paying extra out of our pocket for the O2 on the plane.